08 April 2006

You Want Some Good Music?

Okay so I'm going to use the fact that my blog reaches a good amount of people to do some cheap advertising and support for a very talented musician.

For those of you who know about my last year in Calgary before coming out here, you will probably be well aware of a certain band that my friends and I discovered at JazzFest in September of 2004. The band's name is Sillan & Young and I'll say right now that if you have an appreciation for music in general, you will love this band.

Immediately after the JazzFest, I got in touch with the lead singer of the band, Johanna Sillanpaa, and from there we built a pretty good acquaintance relationship, and perhaps even the base of a friendship. In any case, I don't think we're close enough to be considered friends, but we do email eachother and went out for coffee and had a quick chat after every show.

For the most part in that 3rd year of Bible College, my CD player was consistently pumping out a steady supply of Sillan & Young, and my closer friends will tell you that I was an absolute mess anytime we went to a show because I was always a little star struck (even though they certainly aren't world-famous) and nervous about talking to such a talented group of people.

Anyways, check out the Sillan & Young website and get a dose of their music. If you're in the Calgary area, you can pick up their CD at Megatunes, which is on 17th Ave...honestly just walk down 8th St SW down to 17th and turn right...you can't miss it.

But now I have discovered, after an email from Johanna to the Sillan & Young contact list, that she has released her debut solo album. Honestly people, this is not something you want to pass up checking out, at least. I do understand that not a lot of people have an appreciation for the mellower, acoustic, jazzy sorts of music, but at least check out Johanna's Website and test drive some of the music. That cd is also available at MegaTunes, or you can buy it online at CD Baby. Hey, while you're at it, buy the Sillan & Young CD as well!

If you're into this kind of music, you will not be disappointed! Check out the sites and familiarize yourself - if you're a friend of mine, there WILL be a test.

Take care!

Wow this whole thing makes me sound like a freaky little fan. Ha...yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home