07 August 2006

Randomness. And a plea for help.

So I just got back from Queenstown today, after having gone there with Jocelyn. I decided prior to going that Skydiving was not a financial option at this point, so I opted to ski this morning and quite possibly make a fool of myself and put myself off of skiing forever.

But the weather was crap and so skiing AND skydiving were both not an option. We spent the day roaming around Queenstown, going on the Gondola and lunch and a cruise on the lake.

I will return to Qtown to skydive when it suits better - and hopefully that will be before I go. If not, I can always do it in Canada I suppose.

So I'm looking at this animal shelter website in Hamilton because there is the most adorable cat in the world that I want to adopt when I get back. Her name is Hobo and she's a special needs black and white shorthair. I have been trying to get a hold of the shelter for a week now and have not heard back from them so I will be staying up for about another hour to ring them to ask about her availability and if they would be willing to hold her for me until I get back.

But there is another problem that I have come across, and that is that I wanted to get two cats. And that's fine because Hobo needs a friend. But there is one on the site that is absolutely beautiful - he's a purebred Siamese who, if not adopted by August 11th, will be euthanized. How terrible is that? Not only is it an absolute shame to put down ANY animal, but I feel an extra sense of loss for having such a beautiful species as a Siamese taken out of the world. I would so adopt him but I won't be home on time...if only I could find a friend who would take him for a couple of weeks until I get back...I would beg my parents but this one can't be around dogs and well, Stella's a REAL grump as it is and so I know she and this Siamese boy (whose name happens to be Snoopy) would NOT get along. Plus, Fern (mom's cat) can be a total growly face.

I really hope someone adopts him. It's not fair for an animal to be put down just because the family he once belonged to got divorced and neither of them wanted him anymore. How so terribly wrong...

That's my rant for the day. If you're interested in adopting an animal, visit http://thepriderescue.petfinger.org and you can see almost 100 cats that need loving homes. If you're interested in saving Snoopy, his profile is on the third page at the bottom, if I'm not mistaken. I hope somehow my asking on this blog will help to save his life...so sad.

Ok well that's all for the night I guess. I'm not feeling so hot so I'm gunna get a breath of fresh air and wait until I have to ring the shelter about Hobo (who, if I get her, will probably not keep that name...haha).

The end for now. Ciao!

5 Comments:

At 9/8/06 5:06 am, Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

I can't adopt the cats for you, I'm sorry. But I am happy that you have found work. That's pretty cool.

 
At 10/8/06 12:36 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

WHY DID I READ THIS!??!?!? NOW I'M CRYING FOR SNOOPY - but I have a question for you - I thought the Humane Society no longer euthanised animals????? WAS THIS A LIE?!?!??! I'm gonna have to contact the HS here in Toronto & find out - because if they DO still euthanise after saying they don't, WELL, I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TO START A SMEAR CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE HUMANE SOCIETY......

 
At 10/8/06 3:23 pm, Blogger Just Jaq said...

no no jen it's not the humane society. i don't know exactly what shelter is taking care of snoopy right now.
the shelter that is advertising for him, though, is a shelter that doesn't actually have a building. they find stray cats and if they have room, someone will offer to foster them for a while until they can find a loving home. so there is no set building but if they found out that snoopy was going to be euthanised, they would actually advertise it instead of take him out because it seems their foster homes are full and so some cats are still labelled as "outdoor" cats, meaning they're strays living outside and probably being fed by people who just don't ahve any more room for foster cats in their house.
long schpeel, but make sense?
in short - this shelter thingie is advertising to find him a home because he is goign to be euthanised at ANOTHER shelter - not sure which one.
the end. but hopefully not for snoopy.

 
At 11/8/06 2:29 am, Blogger Unknown said...

OH OK - PHEW - bcs I was gonna say if the Humane Society is euthanising again JENNER GONNA KICK SOME ASS...............

I got my cat Skylar from a Cat rescue place here in T.O. - they don't euthanise or anything, but they too suffer from lack of funding & stuff - breaks my heart....I was just LUCKY that I got Skylar - they had an emergency at a major pet chain & HAD to get all the cats out asap - they called me & asked if I'd be willing to foster one temporarily - well, you know me, there's NO WAY I could give back a kitty lol - so i said yes, of course, bring him over, knowing full well I would be adopting him for good - that was just over 2 years ago, and he's still tearing up my apartment like nobody's business..............but he's the BEST - I know you know Molly & Chloey (BOY do you know Chloey, NO ONE forgets THAT cat lol) but I don't think you've ever met skylar - I'll try & remember to forward a pic for you
SO MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME HOW IT GOES WITH SNOOPY - if you are able to adopt him but need someone to holdon to him for a few weeks until you get back here, I am MORE than happy to do it! It would be a NIGHTMARE around my place, but if it saves Snoopy, then that's all that matters!

 
At 11/8/06 10:24 am, Blogger Just Jaq said...

hey yeah i don't think i can be the one to adopt snoopy. he has a bit of a problem with behaviour apparently and i am not guaranteed to be able to have two cats - and i've already got my sights set on this hobo girl. hehe

i mean i honestly would but i just don't know if i have room. PLUS the dang place isn't answering my emails or phone calls...so i don't know how they expect to get him out there and adopted if they don't contact anyone who contacts them.

in any case, if you know anyone, the number is 905-522-0736. he only has until tomorrow. how sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home