11 August 2006

2:00 am Ramblings

We hates it when we can't sleep, we does. Yesss, preciousss.

So it's after 2 am and this is the latest I've stayed up in quite a while. I have been trying, while unable to sleep, to contact the shelter about adopting the adorable "Hobo" - the cat I want to adopt who has a neurological problem that makes her wobbly on her feet. How cute that would be. A drunk cat. hehe...

But it's not the reason I'm staying up. In fact I told myself that tonight I should just try to go to sleep so I can wake up early enough to ring them perhaps in the afternoon hours for them - which means waking up before 8 am (which is, for some reason, a near impossibility these days). But alas, I am stuck absolutely wide awake, which is not something that has happened to me in quite a while. Normally I can at least be half asleep tossing and turning in bed - but that is often more aggravating than not being tired at all, I suppose. At least I'm still coherent enough to do stuff like...make phone calls to people who aren't answering and...looking up pictures and information on cool people.

And...wishing I could sleep, to be honest.

But I guess there is always time for sleep. I think I heard once that if we live to be 70 or something, we will have slept for 30 of those years. Weird hey?

Tomorrow is the night I break it to the youth that I'm going home sooner than expected. I don't know exactly how they'll react...but hopefully the pizza and DVD will distract them enough that they don't notice the sadness in my voice.

The new structure that Bethany and I developed has been an absolute flop. It's quite apparent that kids in this town just don't care about a whole lot. It's difficult to run a youth program when the kids don't show up. And then when I ask THEM to tell what sorts of things they would be interested in, they don't even care enough to fill me in...so it seems like a hopeless cause here but instead of calling it that, I will refer to it as something that requires an experience community youth worker with a long term vision and dedication to this project, as I am having a hard time figuring out what to do.

It's just another way that God is showing me to come home - a lot of brick walls are shooting up in front of the plans and hopes and it's apparent that my time has come, and someone else needs to come in and start carrying on from the foundation we've set up.

Having finally officially submitted my letter of resignation, I have heard back from only one trust member who has made sure to encourage me and let me know that I should not underestimate what I have achieved here. It was nice of him to say - as it is often difficult to not feel like a failure when nothing you try seems to work out.

So I have 3 more weeks of the Edge to run and then we'll be having a year end sleep over bash, as the kids tend to keep asking to do that again. I'm sure we'll bring back all the favourite games for them to play and I might even try to plan a community dance for the evening before we get the youth group sleepover kicked off. Go out with one big bang, that's what I say.

With that said, I will give the shelter one final phone call - though I don't understand how they can actually successfully find homes for these animals (especially the one with the deadline on his life) if they never answer their phones or emails. It's kind of frustrating, especially knowing that they HAVE been updating their website the past week or so...so I know someone's there, I just don't know why they haven't answered my calls or gotten back to me by email when I've clearly stated that I'm trying to work with a time zone difference here and they don't have clearly stated office hours.

If they don't answer this time, I'm going to bed. As I've probably said before, this may be a lesson in patience for me. I need to believe, I guess, that if they will not get a hold of me, Hobo will still be available for me to adopt when I get home if that's how it's meant to be.

I hope I can sleep though. I don't know why I'm not tired. Harumph.

4 Comments:

At 11/8/06 4:51 am, Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

see, the thing about doing God's work is that He is very secretive about the results sometimes. You may get to heaven sixty years from now and find out that you changed the life of only one child, but that child was later instrumental in inspiring and leading the next Mother Theresa and you never knew that without you it may not have happpened. Frankly, I'm looking forward to heaven because I want to know about those sorts of things, the ripples from my life that I can't see right now...
Now go to bed!

 
At 11/8/06 12:37 pm, Blogger Bobbi said...

Hey Jaqs...I just thought I'd share a story with you...
Once upon a time there was a girl named Laura. She met a girl named Jacquie, and they became friends. One day, after several attempts at applying to UofT, Jacquie decided to go to CBC with Laura. While there, Laura couldn't understand her purpose there, and struggled with that issue for the next couple of years. However, when Laura saw how she had made Jacquie feel more comfortable in that environment, and had been beside her to encourage her in her new-found faith, Laura realized that God had put her at CBC for that one semester to help Jacquie. Now, Jacquie is in New Zealand, sharing the gospel with teenagers who don't seem to care, but Laura knows that God has gifted Jacquie with the ability to care and to interact with teenagers. She knows that God has great plans to use Jacquie to win people to Him, and she knows that God is always faithful.
You will overcome, Jacquie, and I'm praying for you. Just because things seem futile at the moment, know that God has a master plan, and is using this experience as a lesson for you to learn from. I'm praying for you!
Laura

 
At 11/8/06 11:02 pm, Blogger Just Jaq said...

Laura, you are so wonderful.

Thank you for that - I really often forget how everything really is so delicately intertwined.

You truly are a gem, Horn! :)

 
At 12/8/06 12:20 pm, Blogger Just Jaq said...

lol i went to bed last night thinking about these two comments that laura and darrell left me (ps, do you remember eachother from CBC? lol) and realized that i was totally only acknowledging laura's comment and not darrell's. now i know, now that i've actually realized and stated it, he won't let me live it down that i left him out when his comment was just as comforting and wonderful and encouraging...
but in any case. thank you too, darrell. you've gained much wisdom since being in switzerland, i think. apparently, though, you weren't too up n up before you went. hehe jokes.
thanks buddy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home