05 September 2006

The Emotional Hangover

Okay so now that I'm only slightly over the shock of last night's news regarding Steve Irwin's death, I can post a little more because I've had time to think it through. But I call this post "the emotional hangover" because I feel drained, groggy and in pain as though I really am hung over. It might sound lame to people that I am really affected by the death of the Crocodile Hunter, but I don't care. Here are my thoughts and feelings...they may ramble.

It is obvious that Steve lived on the edge and led the kind of life that was bound to end this way. But that doesn't make it any less tragic, leaving behind and 8 and 3 year old, as well as a wife who was obviously head over heels for him...who else would put up with his "WOOHOO!"s and "CRIKEY!"s as if he were a child?

But he was my hero. He was one the first reason I fell in love with the general "Down Under" region of the world. He was one of my inspirations for getting involved in wildlife and animal care at some point in my life...and now I'm going for it when I get back to Canada.

Some of you might already know how much I loved the Croc Hunter. Heck, Laura Culp and Rachel Curle would tell you (I think they're the only original CBC'ers who read my blog...) that I had a picture of Steve and "I"...I pasted a picture of my head on top of Terri's...and mounted it on a big red heart cut out of construction paper. That was the centerpiece on my dormroom door. It read something along the lines of "Jacquie + Steve = 4Ever" or something lame like that...but honestly I have always said that he was my perfect man. Passionate. Enthusiastic. Unashamed. And living for all the right reasons.

I always say that there have been certain people in my life who have constantly inspired me to do something with my life. For instrumental music there was my highschool music teacher, Mrs. Smith. For dancing there were my three favourite teachers: Michelle Hill, Karyn Ringler and Michelle Biehler. For singing (which is just more of a private hobby) there have been countless musicians (but mainly the Corrs, Idina Menzel, and any cast of any musical movie I've seen). For wildlife conservation and animal care, it was and always will be Steve Irwin.

He lived a full and amazing life, and he died doing what he loved best. I have a feeling I know what he would say to us right now if he could...

"Now look at this! He's been given a fright and was only doing what stingrays do. I was in his space and he was telling me 'Back off, mate, or I'll shoot ya with my barb!' WHACK! Remember, don't try this at home! WOO!"

I can only hope he knew the way and that I'll be able to hang out with him when I get to heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home